2 packages yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup molasses
2 T caraway seed
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups white flour
2 cups rye flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
With those ingredients, I'm sure you can imagine that this is a dark bread.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Heat the buttermilk (I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds).
- Add salt, molasses, caraway seed, melted butter and dissolved yeast to the buttermilk.
- Blend these ingredients and then start stirring in the flours gradually.
- Knead the bread until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place in buttered bowl to rise. Takes about 1 1/2 hours.
- When the dough is doubled, turn it out onto a floured board.
- Divide it into 2 parts. Shape each into a loaf and place in a buttered loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled again - about 1 1/4 hours.
- Brush the top of the loaf with melted butter.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 45 minutes until done.
It's beautiful and tastes rich and delicious.