Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Last White Bread for September


I decided to make the last white bread in the series from one of my very first bread baking cookbooks: the 1973 edition of the Sunset Cook Book of Breads. I still use this cookbook a lot, as evidenced by the worn picture of it below. This weekend I baked the white bread recipe from it as well as two loaves of sourdough by the recipe in this cookbook.



Sunset was always good about pictures and this recipe is no exception. You can see in the scans below how well they demonstrate by use of pictures.




The finished bread had a rather chewy, tough crust compared to the other breads, but tastes great. The crumb is nice - helped by the milk in the dough.



In the next couple of days I'll compare the five loaves of white bread I baked this month and pick a favorite.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: